A good Night’s Sleep gives your body a chance to repair and regenerate itself. Without sleep we would not be able to live a long and healthy life. A good night’s rest means that you are getting enough hours of sleep, and good quality deep sleep. If one of these two factors are lacking, you will wake up feeling tired, irritable, and moody.
The effects of sleep on your body
When we sleep our body runs through a series of processes designed to help balance our hormones and bodily systems. When we do not get enough sleep, various hormone levels will become imbalanced and can lead to problems like weight gain, mood disorders, low immunity, high blood pressure and more. Here’s some of the benefits getting a good night’s rest will have on your body:
- Better weight control because of a better balance between your hunger hormones leptin and ghrelin
- Less food cravings and binge eating
- Better productivity and concentration
- Better athletic performance
- Lowered blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Reduced risk of stroke and heart disease
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and better blood glucose control
- Balanced mood and decreased risk of developing a mood disorder
- Better immune function
- Lower inflammation and pain levels
Our bodies need about 7–8 hours of sleep to properly run all its repair processes so that we will be up and ready to go again when a new day begins. If you are a poor sleeper that wake up every few hours, your body will not be able to do its repair job properly. Chronic sleep problems will eventually lead to health issues.
The best way to give yourself a chance of a good night’s sleep, is to make sure that you are comfortable. If your pillow and mattress is not suited for your body, it will be impossible to have long deep quality sleep every night. You need to make sure that your mattress is firm enough to support your body and get a fresh pillow to properly support your neck. Just fixing these two things will have a drastic effect on your sleep quality. Once you get better sleep quality, you’ll be on your way to living a healthier and happier life.